A total or partial retention of the stool is always an alarming sign that can lead to rupture of the intestine, intoxication, serious damage to internal organs, and even death of the pet! Of course, not in all cases everything is so scary. But the owner must know why the dog has constipated, what to do in such a situation and how to avoid problems with bowel movements in the future.
To notice problems in time, notice how often your pet goes to the toilet. Puppies empty their intestines up to five times a day, because they have an accelerated metabolism. Aging pets are less likely to poop, because metabolism is slowed down - every 2-3 days. Adult dogs are emptied once a day, giant breeds - once every two days. The chair should resemble a sausage, smooth and shiny, of the same consistency and evenly colored.
Causes and effects
1. For feces to move through the intestines, adequate motility (wave-like contractions pushing through the contents) is necessary. The intestines can "stand up" for various reasons - diseases of internal organs and neurological disorders, infections, obesity or exhaustion, low activity, diabetes. In such cases, signs of constipation in dogs are expressed by constipation - the pet often takes a long time to push, but the output volume is clearly less than usual, the feces come out in rounds or cereals, the pet whines.
Anesthesia almost always leads to a decrease in peristalsis due to the relaxing effect of the drug on the muscles. To avoid problems, veterinarians recommend a postoperative diet (light meals in small portions in the form of mucous porridges, soups) and soft laxatives. It is important to comply with all appointments, since constipation after surgery can cause discrepancies in sutures, hernia, severe pain. Difficulty with bowel movements is possible due to the formation of adhesions during operations on the abdominal cavity.
2. For normal bowel movements, a sufficient volume and a certain moisture content of the stool are necessary. If there is too much feces, they simply will not be able to pass through the intestines and will accumulate inside. The same thing happens if the stool is very dry. For example, constipation in a dog after bones occurs precisely for these reasons - dry bones literally clog the intestines.
To avoid problems, the pet needs to be properly fed and monitor the amount of fluid consumed. Low-drinking dogs are recommended a semi-fluid menu. Dry food, contrary to general opinion, does not provoke constipation in dogs, because in a healthy stomach, the granules quickly turn into porridge. But with gastrointestinal diseases, dry food can cause constipation.
3. With obstruction (from an “obstruction”), constipation in a dog exhibits rather severe symptoms - weakness, a painful and hard stomach, thirst and poor appetite. The pet is pushing hard, but there is no chair. Sometimes vomiting develops, the mucous membranes turn pale. If the condition lasts longer than 3 days, intoxication increases (feces poison the body).
The cause of obstruction can be feces (prolonged constipation leads to the drying out of the contents and the formation of stones), a foreign body (toy, bone), inversion of the intestinal loop, tumor, a large number of worms. In such a situation, the treatment of constipation with improvised means threatens the life of a pet! Enema, laxatives, and other drugs increase peristalsis and increase the volume of the masses, but the intestinal lumen is closed - feces presses on the intestinal wall, which leads to damage to the mucous membranes and, finally, to rupture.
When thinking about how to help a dog with constipation, owners often rely on laxatives from a human medicine cabinet. As mentioned above, in some cases this can seriously aggravate the problem, therefore, any pills and potions - only after a visit to the veterinarian.
If there is no way to immediately consult a doctor, you can try to solve the problem yourself:
1. We exclude from the menu muscle meat, meat broths, rice and corn, cheese, eggs, yesterday's sour milk. We feed in small portions, the food is warm and semi-liquid (well-boiled buckwheat in milk or water, stewed vegetable stew from cabbage, carrots and zucchini). You can have a little boiled sea fish, preferably white. We treat the dog with fresh kefir or yogurt (without additives, dyes), raw beets. If you are not allergic, you can give a couple of plums. You can temporarily switch to canned food for puppies or chronically sick dogs (easily digestible diet).
2. From what can be given to the dog from constipation, without fear of complications, one should choose one (either / or rather than shove everything in a row). Sour milk, cabbage juice (can cause flatulence), a weak broth of buckthorn, and infusion on pumpkin seeds (a spoonful of sunflower seeds and half a glass of boiling water, 30 minutes warm) helps. You can chop flaxseed and mix with vegetable oil or buy flaxseed oil. Large dogs for a tablespoon 2p / day, small - for a teaspoon. Sour milk instead of breakfast.
3. In many cases, a vaseline enema helps the dog. With constipation, a slightly warm oil is injected into the rectum slowly, without effort. If the oil does not flow, it is impossible to continue (there may be an obstruction, and in this case any pressure is dangerous). For reasons of hygiene, the pet should be put in the bathroom or in the basin. Sparing volumes (a glass for a very large dog, half a glass for a pet weighing 20 kg, a couple of spoons for a miniature toy). Having no experience, we strongly recommend that you entrust this procedure to a specialist.
4. Before treating constipation with an enema, try giving petroleum jelly inside. Also warm (not lower than room temperature) and in small portions, from a syringe without a needle over the cheek of a pet. Miniature dogs - a teaspoon, medium - a tablespoon, large - two spoons at a time. Twice a day or until effect is achieved. Vaseline oil is not absorbed, is not absorbed, so if the dosage is slightly exceeded, nothing will happen - the excess will come out naturally. Remove the carpet, cover the furniture - oil will drip from the priests and dirty everything around.
5. Walk your dog more often, 3-5 times a day. Walking diet is the best treatment for constipation if the condition is not complicated by a chronic disease. Walking awakens the intestines, making it work.
In this mode, you need to hold out for two days. If there is no effect, be sure to consult a doctor. If the dog has other (any!) Symptoms of malaise, show the pet to the veterinarian immediately. Remember that constipation can be a sign of a serious ailment, inversion or obstruction, and in these cases, delay can lead to the most sad result. Whenever possible, do not drag a visit to the veterinarian.