Irritation of the mucous membranes is always accompanied by hyperactivity of the glands and the separation of mucus - a normal protective reaction. The occurrence of a cold for many people is a frequent and not particularly alarming factor. Rhinitis in dogs is not just an inconvenience, but a disease that can quickly progress and give complications. In the early stages of nasal discharge, they are quite easily eliminated, but it is important to start treatment on time.
Causes of Runny Nose in Dogs
The flow from the nose may have several root causes:
- Independent disease - a sharp temperature contrast leads to overexcitation of the mucous membranes. The condition can not be unambiguously called a disease, it is a temporary malaise, which most often goes away without medical intervention.
- Symptom of chronic deviation - Allergic rhinitis in dogs, colds, pneumonia, infectious diseases of the mucous membranes, viral and bacterial diseases.
- The consequence of respiratory damage - inhalation of smoke, corrosive vapors, dust or larger mechanical particles entering the respiratory tract.
In terms of physiological health, the dog becomes vulnerable to all diseases with a weakened immune defense, a lack of vitamins A, group B, C and trace elements in the diet.
Signs of rhinitis in dogs
Rhinitis, like all diseases has an incubation period, it is short, but it is during this period of time that the treatment gives the fastest results. Symptoms of the incubation period - frequent "wet" sneezing, itching in the nose (the dog tries to scratch its face with its paws or rubs its nose on the surface of carpets, upholstered parts of furniture).
The first stage - you need strict control over the development of the disease.
Discharge is a watery mucus, completely transparent, with a low density, without pungent odors. The dog leads an active lifestyle, takes food and water, there are no difficulties with breathing. After sleep, the animal sneezes for a long time, releasing the airways. Rhinitis, as an independent disease does not progress, the animal, with proper care, recovers independently within 2-3 days.
The second stage - requires primary intervention, close monitoring.
With progression, the discharge becomes thicker, acquires a yellowish or greenish color. The secretions dry out and form crusts that cover the inside of the nose and its wings. After sleeping or during the day, the dog breathes through his mouth, sneezes heavily, and a cough may occur. Symptoms indicate the development of a cold or viral disease, the dog needs an examination to identify the causes of the disease.
The third stage is the acute course of the disease.
Allocations become purulent, acquire an extraneous odor, the dog does not breathe through the nose, and shallow mouth breathing. With a deep breath, wheezing is heard or a cough occurs. The nose is covered with crusts, the hair on the face sticks together, an unpleasant smell appears from the mouth, lacrimation or mucous discharge from the eyes is observed. Very disturbing symptoms requiring comprehensive monitoring, anamnesis and an immediate visit to the hospital.
Important! Purulent discharge from the eyes and nose can be a symptom of the course of an acute fatal disease - pulmonary plague. Strong wheezing and brown sputum can indicate lung damage - also an acute situation, which can only be managed with the help of a doctor.
Forms of the course of rhinitis and methods for its treatment
According to the specifics of the course, rhinitis is divided into two types:
- Acute - provoked by widespread irritation of the mucous membranes: temperature changes, mild colds, irritation from smoke, dust or mechanical particles. It passes in a mild form, usually does not reach the second stage, treatment lasts from 7 to 14 days.
- Chronic - a consequence of allergies or other abnormalities. Well treatable, but occurs again, after a short period of time. For a complete relief, it is necessary to identify a disease whose symptom is rhinitis, and after that it will be determined how to treat the animal.
Rhinitis is not a dangerous disease, but the diagnosis of the root causes is associated with many errors. If you doubt the diagnosis or observe negative trends, exclude medication and consult a doctor.
Consider how and how to treat a runny nose of a dog, in the reverse order starting from the advanced stage:
1. The time of walks is reduced as much as possible, drafts are eliminated in the house, the dog's place is insulated. Macronutrients, products containing vitamins A, E are added to the diet. Be sure to drink warmly, preferably milk.
2. The nose is warmed with warm sand, better not for long, but often.
3. The crusts of dried mucus are removed 1 time per day, more often if necessary. Ideally, there should be no crusts at all. To soften, you can use warm water, saline, diluted with hydrogen peroxide in water (concentration of not more than 3%). After the procedure, petrolatum, oxolin ointment or a hypoallergenic antiseptic cream is applied to the wings of the nose.
4. Cracked and inflamed skin of the nose is treated with powdered streptocide.
5. With severe drying of the mucous membranes, a solution of tinnin (0.5%) and menthol oil is dripped or injected into the nose.
6. If the dog does not breathe through the nose, use veterinary drops in the nose for dogs with rhinitis, furatsilin (0.1%), maxidine (0.15) - 2-3 drops in each nostril or in accordance with the instructions. If the dog does not have allegri, you can use a decoction of chamomile, a string, raspberries as drops. A "desperate" but effective method is the injection of streptocide powder, if you don’t know exactly how this is done, it’s better not to risk it.
Important! Never use naphthyzin, glazolin or any other human drops to treat a dog. The only exception is pinosol, sometimes it is prescribed by veterinarians.
7. As an inhalation, the mouth is smeared with ointments containing menthol, a mixture of boric acid and glycerin (2/50 gr. Proportion) - the pet will be very unhappy! An easier way is to inhale boiled potato steam.
Attention! During inhalation, you should not cover the dog’s head with a towel like people do, just hold the dog above the container so that it can inhale the vapor.