Cat urinary incontinence, which owners often perceive as hooliganism on the part of the animal, is in fact a sign of a violation in the health of a furry or naked pet. To eliminate the unpleasant phenomenon, the cat must receive quality medical care, for which he should be shown to a veterinarian. If this is not done, then the disease that caused the incontinence will continue to progress and may lead to the death of a sick cat. Provided that therapy begins in a timely manner, the likelihood that the problem will be completely resolved is very high.
In a cat, urinary incontinence can take many forms. They are classified according to the degree of leakage of urine.
The classification of the disease is as follows:
- digging up - with this phenomenon, urine leaks in the pet in a small amount. It stands out involuntarily in the form of drops and most often if the cat has experienced significant physical exertion. Constant instillation of urine is not often, but in this case, the general condition of the animal, as a rule, suffers very much. Even if the cat, which suffered from incontinence, has undergone the necessary treatment, his condition remains unsatisfactory;
- constant urine flow - this phenomenon is diagnosed if the cat urine is excreted every time when changing the position of the body and any movements. The back of the cat’s body is constantly wet, and its urine is saturated with urine, and it exudes an extremely unpleasant pungent odor. The cat, as a rule, is very worried about this phenomenon herself, tries not to wipe herself on the owner’s clothes and is constantly washed;
- Urgenic form - with such a violation, the cat often does not feel the urge to urinate, because of which, when the bladder is full, the urine drains sharply, which greatly scares the animal. The pet is immediately lost and can not quickly understand what happened to him. In no case should the owner scold his pet. It must be immediately reassured and comforted.
- stress form - incontinence occurs against the background of the fact that the cat is experiencing severe stress or fear. Urine is released in this case sharply and in a different volume - from small to plentiful;
- Urinary incontinence can sometimes occur after cat catheterization. There is no need to treat the cat, the consequences of installing a catheter pass themselves after a few days.
Depending on what form of pathology occurs in the animal, it is also determined which therapy will be carried out in a particular case. All treatment is prescribed by a veterinarian and should not be postponed if a problem is detected. When urinary incontinence is observed in a castrated cat, treatment can be especially difficult.
Causes of pathology
In order to carry out the correct treatment, it is important to accurately determine the reason why the cat's urine does not hold. Incontinence often occurs as one of the symptoms of the underlying disease. May cause a violation in the body of the animal:
- infectious lesions of the urinary system in any of its departments;
- congenital abnormalities of the genitourinary system - in such a situation, the cat suffers from birth problems, which is clearly visible as the kitten grows. In very small incontinence, you can not always notice, since the cat carefully monitor the maintenance of cleanliness in its den;
- urolithiasis is the most common cause of incontinence in cats. Due to the presence of fractions of various sizes in the bladder and ureters, there is a constant irritation of the sphincter of the bladder, from which urine does not hold;
- disturbances in the work of the spinal cord or brain due to inflammatory pathologies, injuries and high blood pressure. In this situation, there is a violation in the conduct of nerve impulses and a change in the contractility of the muscles of the sphincter of the bladder. Because of this, incontinence of a different nature appears;
- metabolic malfunctions - with this phenomenon, incontinence is combined with obesity and the onset of diabetes. Most often, with such a violation, urine only undermines with greater or lesser intensity;
- age-related changes in the cat's body - when the pet is aging, the functioning of the systems and organs in his body is somewhat impaired, and urine leaks due to muscle weakness. Incontinence is more often permanent due to the inability of the sphincter to withstand the pressure exerted by urine;
- frequent deliveries - if a cat gives birth more than once a year, her urinary system does not have time to recover, which is why the normal functioning of the bladder is seriously impaired and persistent incontinence develops;
- spasm of the muscles of the bladder - most often the urine involuntarily flows once;
- paralysis of the lower parts of the body, in which urine leaks constantly;
- traumatic damage to the bladder - urine leaks to varying degrees;
- tumors in the urinary system, especially in the urethra and bladder.
Typically, a urine sample is taken for diagnosis. It must be collected in compliance with the rules, otherwise the feces that got into it will change the indicators. It is better if not only the analysis, but also the sampling of the material will be done by a veterinarian. Sometimes additional studies may be required. Eliminating the cause of incontinence in an animal, depending on its type and general condition in which the cat is located, can be more difficult or easier.
It is important to remember that the sooner therapy is started, the higher the likelihood of a complete elimination of urinary incontinence in a cat. By launching the disease of his pet, the owner increases his costs of treating the cat and reduces the likelihood of a favorable outcome. It is especially important to help the kitten in time, as incontinence is a very alarming symptom for him, why a visit to the veterinarian should not be postponed even for one day.
Treatment is prescribed by a veterinarian after the reason why the cat's urine is leaking has been determined. The main methods of therapy are as follows:
- antibiotics - if a bacterial cause of the problem is detected. They are selected depending on the general condition of the animal and which bacteria caused the problem. Most often, they are injected subcutaneously or intramuscularly;
- the use of drugs to restore metabolic processes in the body and a special diet for weight loss - are prescribed when it is detected that urine is leaking due to obesity. In this case, the cat, having lost weight, restores its normal state;
- complex therapy for the detection of pathology due to disorders of the nervous system - is primarily determined, which caused a malfunction in the brain or spinal cord, and the whole therapy is built on this basis.
In some cases, therapy is useless. This situation most often occurs when there is a problem in the old cat, which, due to the general weakness of the body, already does not adequately respond to therapy. In addition, tissues can no longer rejuvenate and recover, from which urine leaks more and more intensely.
Preventing cat urinary incontinence is quite a difficult task due to the fact that urine can leak due to many factors. However, veterinarians still give some recommendations to prevent the problem.:
- high-quality pet feeding;
- timely processing of worms;
- warning uncontrolled cat on the street;
- rejection of cheap ready-made feed of economy class.
Providing the pet with quality living conditions, the owner reliably protects the cat from pathologies and injuries, as a result of which urine leaks.
When, for some reason, a cat's incontinence is found unexpectedly, and when it arose is unknown, it is necessary to show it to a specialist as soon as possible. It is impossible to leave her health unattended because of the risk of dangerous and serious complications of the condition.