Bengal cat is an elite breed for people with special needs. If you want to have an incredibly beautiful, intelligent, talkative and active pet at home whose habits remind you of a dog, take a Bengal! You will never get bored with them and will not feel lonely.
All that you need to know about this breed, we have collected in our material. Familiarize yourself with the features of these amazing cats, with the nuances of their upbringing and content, to understand whether a Bengal cat suits you.
The nature and description of the breed
Love for meow
Attitude towards children
Relationship with strangers
Getting along with others
How to endure loneliness 1
The breed is strongly attached to the owner and suffers in separation from him. If you are at work all the time, do not take a Bengal cat.
These cats are incredibly loyal, ready to accompany their master everywhere: on the couch, in bed, in the kitchen, in the bathroom. They, like dogs, will accompany their master everywhere, running on his heels. Lack of attention makes bengals incredulous and wild.
How much molt 2
The breed is short-haired and sheds a little.
The luxurious soft coat of a Bengal cat is enough to comb out every week.
Active or lazy 5
The activity of Bengal cats just rolls over - the breed is not suitable for everyone!
These cats require a lot of attention, so bengals are unlikely to suit people growing into a sofa. "Bengals" are very playful and curious, but smart, do not stick their nose where it is dangerous.
Does he like to purr 5
If you want to live in silence - forget about the Bengal cat! They are constantly talking.
You will have to communicate with this pet and explain to him all your movements around the house. It is wonderful that you will get the dialogue with the Bengals, because the representatives of this breed make a couple of dozens of special sounds - from the classic "meow" to scream, rattle and croak.
How it relates to children 5
Bengal cats quickly find a common language with their children. They are actively interested in children's activities, take part in games.
It is worth noting the lack of aggressiveness in Bengal cats and cats. That is, it is not. From the word - at all. If a human cub allows itself more than is permissible, the cat will dodge and hide in a secluded place.
How to treat guests 3
Do not expect your Bengal cat to joyfully welcome your guests. Distrust is characteristic of cats, they need time to get used to strangers.
How to treat other animals / dogs 5
Bengals do not conflict with other pets. They treat them loyally and patiently. They get along especially well with active cats and dogs that support their games.
Easy care 4
The breed does not require any particularly difficult care.
But, you need to be prepared for two things. Firstly, these cats are large neat - the toilet should always be clean. Secondly, bengals are active and sociable - the owners need to organize the pet’s leisure and pay a lot of attention to it.
The breed is distinguished by exceptional intelligence.
Interactive toys and puzzle toys are what every Bengal cat should have. But, be prepared for the fact that they quickly get bored with cats - you have to buy new ones all the time. Cats quickly understand what causes host displeasure. They can use it to get his attention. These pets learn quickly, they can even perform some tricks that dogs usually perform.
It’s impossible to name the breed healthy.
The Bengal cat was bred by prolonged breeding, which affected its genetic health. The breed has a number of pathologies, which we will discuss in detail in the section "Health and Diseases".
History of breed origin
A Bengal cat is the result of a one-of-a-kind combination of a wild cat and a domestic one. The breed has a founder - female breeder Gene Sudgen (Mill). D. Sudgen conducted experiments on crossing a wild Asian leopard cat with a domestic one in the 70s of the XX century.
The result of many years of painstaking work was a new breed - a Bengal (domestic) cat, which surprisingly combines the wild features of its ancestors with the friendliness and tenderness of pets.
The world community of felinologists did not immediately accept this breed. The International Cat Association did this in 1991, and the Cat Lovers Association still denies recognition to the hybrid breed.
The domestic Bengal cat is quite large. An adult cat weighs about 7-8 kilograms.
Features of this breed are noticeable from afar. They resemble wild cats, so independent and independent, capable of any "feats". However, the appearance is deceiving, the Bengal cat is not at all what it seems.
The way this animal looks does not determine its true character. Only 15-20% of the genes were inherited by Bengal kittens from their wild ancestor, the rest of the appearance and character passed to him from the domestic cat. These "wild genes" did not make the cat aggressive, but only brought special signs to its life:
- Grace and plasticity, which are characteristic of predators.
- Extraordinary color.
- Love of water.
WCF breed standard
- Body. Sizes - medium to large. Elongated, muscular, very strong.
- Head. Wedge-shaped. Massive. Longer than wide.
- Muzzle. Wide, powerful.
- Neck. Long, powerful and muscular, proportional to the head and body.
- The ears. Small to medium size. Rounded shape. Slightly tilted forward. Highly located, have a wide base. Be sure to have a spot of wild color on the ears.
- Chin. Massive.
- Nose. Curved, large and wide.
- Cheeks. Chubby with large pads under the mustache.
- Eyes. Big ones. They have an almond shape. All colors except aquamarine and blue are allowed. The exception is snow bengal. They have pure blue eyes.
- Paws Round, powerful and large. The rear ones are longer than the front ones.
- Tail. Medium length, thick, not fluffy. At the end of the tail is a rounded tip. Throughout the length - there are spots or rings.
- Wool. Short. Dense in texture, very soft (like silk) to the touch. Brilliant.
- Drawing on the wool. Two are allowed: spotted (with or without sockets) and marble.
- Color. The standard recognizes 6 colors: brown spotted,
- Weight. Cats - from 4.5 to 5 kg. Cats - from 7 to 8 kg.
A distinctive feature of the Bengal cat is thickened fins, which makes the cat's mouth "tiger" (square shape). This can be seen when the cat yawns, meows or growls.
Photo of bengal cats
In the photo you will see Bengal cats of various colors.
- Leopard cat, it is often called "leopardetta", the most popular of the "bengals". She is very similar to her wild descendants.
- Sorrel (golden color with chocolate brown spots). Cats with this color usually have a black tail tip. It is interesting that their true color is formed by the year (one and a half years), so it is difficult to determine the value of a kitten younger than this age.
- A marble Bengal cat differs from others in that it has completely different spots, they have a peculiar (non-leopard) shape.
- "Snow Leopard" (white, gray). Dark spots are visible on a grayish-white background. It is interesting that kittens of this color are born completely white, they later acquire grayish shades and dark spots.
Care and maintenance
Note that the care of show-class cats that participate in exhibitions requires much more time, money and money. If you have a pet for the soul - it will cost you less, and care will not seem tedious and difficult.
Bengal cat is a wild cat hybrid. Wild blood flows in their veins. They are incredibly active, athletic and curious. The first thing to worry about is a safe space. No mosquito nets on the windows - only iron bars. No open doors - the street is dangerous for this breed. All beating, cutting, piercing objects must be hidden. Electric wires - removed in the box.
To implement motor activity, you need to organize a sports corner for your pet. An artificial tree, a tall playhouse, a multi-level stove bench with a stable high claw point will do. Bengal cat jumps great, loves to climb on cabinets and shelves. They can be thieves, so you need to hide all valuables in places inaccessible to cats.
A Bengal cat is a real energizer battery. They do not like to sleep on the knees of the owners, but they love to play with him and hunt. To bengals from boredom did not spoil furniture, shoes and household clothes, they need toys. Toys should be many and different. Including balls, fishing rods, tunnels, mazes and various mice. If there are live mice, a Bengal cat can also hunt. For this reason, small pets will have to be hidden.
Passion for water is one of the features of a Bengal cat. Bengal owners advise as a toy to make a font (basin) with water and rubber toys. Cats will be happy to splash around in the font, catching toys, as if they were fish. So they realize their wild animal instincts.
Bengals are accustomed to the toilet without problems, but they love to bury their "waste". Keep this in mind, purchase a closed or deep toilet for them (with sides starting from 10 cm) and do not forget to pour sand into it (cat litter). You can buy a harness for walking on the street - bengals quickly get used to it. Or build a spacious enclosure in the yard. Samovigul - not permissible!
The breed is exotic, but caring for it is the same as for other breeds. The beautiful short smooth bengal wool is combed out with a furminator and a rubber mittens brush 3-4 times a month. They bathe when necessary - before exhibitions or when the wool is very dirty. But, remember that bengals love to swim. They can take a bath with the owner. You can not do this too often so as not to wash off the protective layer from the skin and coat.
Eyes and ears are examined and, if necessary, cleaned with a damp cotton swab (disk) from tear and sulfur secretions. It is forbidden to use cotton buds to clean the ears - this can damage the eardrum. Ear drops and eye drops are used for prophylactic purposes only on the recommendation of a veterinarian.
A kitten is taught to brush their teeth from the first days of life in a new house. It is desirable that this skill be instilled in him by the breeder. Brush cat's teeth with a special paste from a pet store and brush at least 1 time per week. To prevent plaque and tartar from forming on the teeth, cats are fed with special dry food. With natural nutrition, the condition of the oral cavity is regularly checked. The presence of deposits on the teeth is an indication for visiting a veterinarian.
Cats love to grind their claws on a claw point. But, this is usually not enough. Claws are inspected and trimmed carefully with a 1 mm claw cutter. monthly. It is important to ensure that the claw is trimmed evenly, without bevels.
How much money is needed for care and maintenance
The maintenance of a Bengal cat requires an initial investment and monthly expenses for maintenance and care.
What you need to buy for a kitten
- Two bowls (for water and food). Ceramic or metal of the appropriate size is best - it is not recommended to buy for growth. Price: 110-300 rub.
- Tray. With a deep side (open): 270 - 350 rubles. Closed: 1500 - 4500 rub.
- Rubber brush for combing: 280 - 350 rubles.
- High vertical claw point: 1700 - 4500 rub.
- Toys (a lot and different). Price: 700 - 3500 rub.
- Scratching post with emphasis on the ceiling or a game (sports) complex. Price: 7000 - 38000 rub.
- Carrying. Price: 900 - 2500 rub.
- Nail clipper. Price: 300 - 500 rubles.
- Harness with a leash (for walking). Price: 800 - 1500 rubles.
- Anticats. Price: 1800-2500 rub.
- Furminator. Price: 700 - 1700 rub.
- Game tunnel (you can do it yourself). Price: 800 - 3000 rub.
The annual care of a Bengal cat may require an average of 30 to 50 thousand rubles. Do not forget to find funds for initial investments and the purchase of a kitten.
The final amount depends on the selected brand of food, type of cat litter, shampoo, conditioner, prescription and number of visits to the clinic.
See also: The best prepared food for a Bengal cat.
Health and Disease
The breed is hybrid, bred artificially, therefore genetic abnormalities in development and hereditary pathologies are possible:
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a pathology in which the walls of the ventricle become denser. It is characterized by a deterioration in blood circulation, blood clots are possible.
- Flat chest syndrome. Congenital malformation characterized by inwardly bent ribs. Lethal outcome is possible.
- Neuropathy. It is characterized by weakness. Perhaps a complete recovery.
- Hip dysplasia. In severe cases, manifested by lameness.
- Polycystic kidney disease. Detected by DNA analysis. It is treated surgically.
- Progressive retinal atrophy. Degenerative disease leading to blindness.
For genetic problems to bypass a cat, carefully approach the choice of a breeder. Take an interest in the pedigree and medical documents for the kitten's parents. Ask the seller for the results of medical examinations and genetic tests for the kitten.
In the future, in order to minimize the risk of non-hereditary diseases, strictly adhere to the recommended vaccination schedule, observe the terms of antiparasitic treatment, and avoid contact with sick and stray animals. Timely contacting a doctor in the presence of suspicions of one or another pathology significantly increases the pet's chances of recovery. Also, do not neglect preventive examinations.
On average, treatment and preventive measures may require from 3,500 to 5,500 rubles. in year. In the first year of keeping a Bengal kitten, add to this amount the cost of the sterilization / castration operation - 1,500-3,000 rubles.
Watch your cat's diet - the breed is prone to food allergies and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
From their wild ancestors, the Bengal cat got a shortened food tract, which is adapted for the digestion of protein foods (meat). The owner must take this into account and choose the type of feeding that is best suited for the breed.
This should be done immediately, avoiding lengthy experiments with the diet - bengals have a sensitive intestine.
When choosing natural nutrition, you must remember that its basis (up to 70%) should be low-fat raw meat and meat products. Otherwise, cats may have digestive problems.
In the diet of bengals should be:
- meat (rabbit, lean beef, turkey, chicken breast, horse meat, lamb);
- offal (heart, chicken stomachs, kidneys, lung);
- chicken necks;
- vegetables (fresh or boiled): pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower;
- fillet of sea fish - not more often than 1-2 times a month;
- cottage cheese (1%);
- dried kelp;
- quail egg - 1-2 per week;
- vitamin and mineral complexes - on the recommendation of a veterinarian.
The daily norm for cats on natural nutrition should be 7-7.5% of its weight.
With such a diet, a cat’s nutrition will require from 1,000 to 1,500 rubles.
Ready-made food for a Bengal cat is selected with a high content of protein (protein). Ideally, the choice is stopped at a feed of the “holistic” or “super-premium” class. The daily portion is calculated individually.
- WildCat Etosha - class "holistic", protein - 53%;
- Orijen Six Fish Cat - holistic class, protein - 42%;
- CARNILOVE Salmon for Adult Cats - Sensitive & Long Hair - holistic class, protein - 36%;
- AATU Adult Cat Free Run Chicken Grain Free - "holistic" class diet, protein - 34%;
- Eukanuba Adult with Chicken - super-premium, protein - 41%;
- Royal Canin Bengal Adult is a premium breed brand, protein - 40%.
On average, representatives of this breed need from 80 to 120 grams. dry feed per day. This volume is divided in half and issued in the morning and evening. Cats should have clean water around the clock.
Monthly feed will require from 1,000 to 2,200 thousand rubles.
Read the detailed instructions for feeding Bengal cats.
How many live at home?
The life expectancy of this breed is 12-15 years (and more).
What is the weight of an adult and a kitten?
Cats are much larger than cats. Adult cats weigh about 5 kg., Cats - 7-8 kg. The weight of a six-month-old kitten is 2.9-3.9 kg. By the year the animals weigh - 4.2-6 kg.
Is it easy to hand?
If you take a cat so that it rests on your arms, then look at other breeds. Bengal cats are wayward. You cannot force them to go hand in hand if they themselves do not want to.
Is it possible to keep outside?
Cats are pets. A Bengal cat is no exception. They can be let out for walks on the street, but only on a leash or in a spacious aviary in the warm season. Completely aviary - prohibited. Without communication with people, a bengal cat quickly runs wild.
How aggressive is the breed?
Despite its “wild” exterior and incredible activity, bengals are not an aggressive breed. Of course, they can answer the offender, but prefer to go to a secluded place.
Do they like to tear claws / climb?
Bengal cat's favorite pastime is climbing on vertical surfaces. Therefore, for their maintenance it is necessary to acquire tall toy trees or multi-level houses that are more reminiscent of sports equipment. It is imperative to have a high stable scratching post - bengals love to sharpen their claws and leave scratches.
Is this breed hypoallergenic?
Allergies have to be disappointed - allergies to Bengal cats exist. There are no completely hypoallergenic breeds.
Do I need to take care of wool?
Luxurious smooth pet hair requires regular care. It needs to be thinned weekly with a furminator and combed with a rubber brush after this procedure.
What color are the eyes?
Blue - at the snow leopard color. In all other colors, blue and aquamarine eye color is not allowed. Other colors (green, golden green, orange, yellow green, etc.) are allowed by the breed standard.
Does the breed have a tendency to heart disease?
Yes. Unfortunately, artificially bred breeds often have heart problems. Bengal cats are susceptible to such a hereditary disease as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
At what age do they stop growing?
Bengals gain height and weight up to 2 years of age. Cats grow longer.
How are water procedures related?
Bengal leopard cat breed loves water and can take a bath with the owner (with great pleasure).
Reviews of Bengal cat owners
Larisa: "This cat turned our lives upside down and back! When we got this spotted baby, we realized what it means to be parents - we slept for hours, washed the pot and heated food. It’s not boring to live with this breed - it’s always in the search for adventure, the task of the owners is to rescue their Bengal from any situation - to remove them from the ceiling, pull them out from under the washing machine, etc. Just note that you cannot scold these comrades - they are very vulnerable. "
Marina: “My Bengal cat is the most important creature in the house, it must be in control and everywhere at the same time. I noticed from the unusual that the Marquis loves to play with water - he fishes toys with his paw, loves to splash, but cannot endure swimming. Since bengals are hunters by nature, I often take the Marquise for a walk and he enjoys climbing trees, rushing along the front lawn. "
Igor: “Before the appearance of Saffron in the house, I did not know what a unique breed it is. Those who speak about hyperactivity of Bengal cats are right. Until six months, Saffron literally walked on the ceiling and did not know a minute of rest. And we were with him. And then we noticed that Saffron knows how to communicate - he makes a certain sound for every situation and we already understand when the cat asks for water and when to clean the tray. In general, it’s a very smart breed. "
Cost of a bengal kitten
The price of a Bengal kitten is very high and varies from 20,000 to 150,000 rubles (8,500 - 60,000 hryvnias).
What determines the price of a kitten
The cost of a Bengal kitten is affected by the availability of documents, pedigree and belonging to a certain class:
- SHOW (show) - kittens for professional breeding and exhibitions. The price for pets of the class "show" starts from 100 000 rubles .;
- BREED (brid) - genetically healthy kittens with a pedigree and good characteristics. They cost from 50,000 to 100,000 rubles .;
- PET (pet) - pets, kittens that are not allowed to exhibitions and breeding. You can buy for 20 000 - 50 000 rubles.
Where to buy a Bengal kitten
Nurseries in Russia:
- Bengora, Moscow - //www.bengora.ru;
- Leominipard, St. Petersburg - //leominipard.ru/;
- Ak Bars, Kazan - //www.kazan-cats.ru/.
Nurseries in Ukraine:
- Jaguar Jangle, Kiev - //www.bengalocats.com/;
- Old Race, Odessa - //oldrace.jimdo.com/.
If you really want a cat of a beautiful "wild" or leopard color, then you can look at similar breeds of cats: toyger or Egyptian Mau. These breeds are as active as a Bengal cat.